This is intended as a general checklist of things that should be checked at this inspection.
Before Layout Verification
Before layout control is started, check that
- All translated files have been included
- All necessary fonts are available
- All necessary images are available (if necessary for creating PDFs etc.)
- The correct version of the program is used
Go through the client-specific DTP checklist, if there is one.
Inspection of Translated Files
The translated files should be checked against the source files in the following areas:
Make sure the correct
- Styles are used (Title, Body, ...)
- Formatting (bold, italic, underline, ...) is used
- Language settings are being used in the styles, if hyphenation is turned on
- If high-resolution PDFs have been requested, make sure all images have been linked and are displayed properly
- Images may not be moved without approval from the client; see the DTP checklist, if attached
- Headers and footers are translated and look good
- Pages flow (some languages swell and, to maintain the number of pages, sometimes font size and/or line spacing needs to be adjusted, which must be approved by the client; see the DTP checklist, if attached)
- All text is included and has been translated
- Cross-references still function and have been translated
- Table of contents, indexes, and other generated content is updated
- Codes, variables, and bookmarks have been translated and function properly
- All text in text boxes is visible
Special Characters, etc.
- Line breaks and tabs are correct
Also keep an eye out for
- Hard spaces
- Space before dots and commas
- Double dots
- Quotation marks (must follow the language conventions, unless otherwise indicated)
- Inch symbols (several programs replace the quotation marks)
- Units of measurement defined in accordance with the SI Guide (SIS models) (space before the % character, °C, ...)
PDF and final delivery to Semantix
Check the instructions for delivery in PDF format for the project. Unless otherwise specified, create a low-resolution PDF for reference.
All other files must be delivered in correct version (.fm/.indd) and in correct folder structure. In some cases it might also be necessary to deliver interchange formats (.mif/.idml).